Josh Corn – Garmin GPS Teardown

Garmin Nuvi 265 Teardown
IMG_4627

IMG_4629

Tools I used:

Small torx screwdriver
Small phillips head screwdriver
Plastic spackle knife
Needle nose pliers

To disassemble this GPS unit, I began by trying to pry the injection molded plastic unit apart along the seams around the edge. It seemed like there was something more keeping the halves attached so I started exploring. After a couple minutes, I peeled off the sticker on the rear bottom of the unit to find 2 tiny torx screws!

IMG_4632

IMG_4633

IMG_4634

After removing the screws, I pried apart the case using a plastic spackle knife.

IMG_4636

IMG_4637

IMG_4638

I disconnected both the cables between the two halves – one goes to the LCD display and the other connects the front LED.

IMG_4640

IMG_4642

IMG_4643

There were 3 more phillips head screws on the main circuit board so I removed them to pull out the board.

IMG_4645

IMG_4646

IMG_4647

I disconnected the cable attached to the speaker and the cable attached to the battery.

IMG_4648

I carefully popped out the LCD display from the front bezel and removed the surrounding foam.

IMG_4650

IMG_4649

IMG_4651

IMG_4652

The only other remaining parts to remove were the speaker and battery. I pulled the speaker off from the housing pretty easily but struggled with the battery as the adhesive was so strong it was pulling the battery apart. I decided to just leave it.

IMG_4658

IMG_4659

IMG_4660

IMG_4661

And here are all the parts removed!

IMG_4665

After finishing removing all the parts, I wanted to dig a bit further into the circuit board so I pried up the metal covering the GPS unit. It involved a lot of pulling with some pliers. Then GPS cover had a long rivet that was soldered through the board so I ended up having to force that apart with some force.

IMG_4654

IMG_4655

IMG_4666

I also removed the metal covering the logic portion of the board on the other side.

IMG_4667

IMG_4668

IMG_4671

Here are all the functions of the board that I could determine.

IMG_4669

IMG_4672

Overall the process wasn’t too difficult, once I first found the screws to open the unit. I thought that covering the screws with the sticker was an interesting design choice and certainly would deter some people from trying to do their own repairs on the unit. I also like the flexible circuits they used between the two halves of the unit, between the display and the main board. It makes sense to not have a rigid connection in order to easily repair the unit and allow for some relief.