Mathematics has always been a riveting subject both conceptually and practically, for the longest time. On my way to practising design, I discovered an outlet into art based off of mathematics. We are going to make a ‘Harmonograph’ based on physical computing using an Arduino.
A “harmonograph” is a drawing machine that makes geometric patterns that are related to the frequencies of activity on (at least) two actuators. These can be made using rotating platters where the relative speed and direction of the multiple rotating platters controls the figure being drawn. Even a simple harmonograph as described can create ellipses, spirals, figure eights and other Lissajous figures.
Imagine we have a twitter mood light, connected to a mechanical arm which draws. I want to make this amalgamation of Arduino projects which detects and ‘senses’ the world mood and represents it via a drawing. After much deliberation and research, I feel that the twitter algorithm has changed(even though I have found a few, wherein this is possible) and it is not possible to tap into its data.
Another possible iteration is to make a device which captures emotions using the press of a button and at the end of the day draws an image based on the prominent emotion of that day. Example: There are a few buttons installed at the PoD, people press(Happiness, Anger,Fear and more), at the end of the day the device captures the most dominant ‘mood’ and draws( I think I have to manually put in the image I want it to draw, though.) a painting relating to the most dominant emotion.
This can also be captured using the Vortolight method which uses a service like IFTTT to reflect colours based on what people tweet about. Essentially instead of changing colour, I would like to ‘move’ the drawing handle in a way which relates to a tweet.
Example: I am angry today #red. This makes the vortolight go red, in the same manner, the robot will draw a little something over a prompt by the tweet.
I looked at a few drawing robots and this seemed the most viable/accurate in terms of using a MECHANIX kit and servos(besides regular electronics) whereas the twitter part is mostly coding and web services(and a wifi module which should not be as expensive, however, the one used in some cases is).
Looking forward to starting with this after your feedback!
Fascinated by IoT and other wireless technology, I started with getting an HC-06 Bluetooth module.
Attaching the Bluetooth with the Arduino came next. I started by researching, building and applying codes to the Arduino circuitry. After a number of iterations with trials & errors, I started getting some headway with the connection.
Why stop at using an app when you can command by using voice, ‘Lights on’ and ‘Lights Off’ was what I was aiming at. Delving further into every instructable ever I finally managed to get to a workable point.
After changing this circuit, making tweaks in the code and searching for more Instructables, I finally got it to react to my voice.
The video to show the same.(Even though google does not understand my voice.)
Now that I have a successfully connected Bluetooth module, I wanted to take it to the next level. One way could be attaching a relay transistor arrangement and connecting to a REAL device, say a light/fan/coffee machine. I wanted to take a different direction and tackle another issue.
I wanted to make a light go on, whenever I got a new e-mail on the school email, just cause I tend to miss those all the time and why not. This is where the actual fun started.
After much research and deliberation, one of the possible ways could be to use multiple platforms and ways to make this happen using the resources I already had at hand.
- IFTTT is a tool which works on the basic if this then that principle, essentially I enabled the tool to; Whenever there is a new mail on email@example.com then send a web URL(through the maker for DIY projects) to change 0-1 on my host(antriksh.96.lt).
- Hosting a webpage/ making a temporary domain is simple but delving into SQL databases/ writing the PHP script is something I have no experience at, a genius friend helped me with the same. This essentially meant that IFTTT could send a call to change variables on my domain every time it detected a new e-mail coming in. There is some stuff going on at the backend,some of which I understand and most I do not.
- There is no existing application on the google marketplace that supports such a custom framework. So I started getting into making one. Using the MIT App Inventor(Only for android, IOS does not support app making like this).
- After placing, replacing and then replacing code blocks I got to a prototype which I can use with the app. Getting into the basic of the emulator is easy, but you can make full blown complex apps on these. My thing was very basic(not for me, though).
- Now I will try and experiment with this App in use on an android phone.
Dc Motor- Potentiometer Experiments-Can you handle it?
Started with a beautiful 3d model for a lamp.
Ended up getting stuck with the CNC.
Made the therapeutic sleeping mask in 1 hour.
The @. The silent guardian of the internet, we could not do anything without it. It also likes colours so different ones for sewing it.
Also, there was a casualty while working with the LEDs, we had to hold a funeral. I did not understand what the priest in blue was saying, though.
The lights for those literal goodnights.